Thursday, May 26, 2011

The launch of Huffington Post Canada as is may make 1.5 million people angry!


Dear Ms Huffington:

Congratulations on launching your first international edition. I think that Canada and the UK are logical and smart next choices.

I am a big fan or yours Ms Huffington and I am concerned that whoever is advising you may be misunderstanding your international audience. May I give you some unsolicited advice?

I realize that any launch will have bugs and launch day will bring headaches but whoever told you that hijacking 1.5 million Canadians and giving them the book banning lady in the same day was the way to go may not be giving you the best advice.

Ms Reisman I realize that you banned anti-Semitic trash but banning books when you have as much power over the sale of books that you have is abuse of power to many people. That makes people who value freedom over censorship very nervous.

I apologize Ms Huffington, as I understand that Ms Reisman is a friend but I think you will find that giving her editorial control may make people nervous.

I think one of the following three options might please your international readers better than redirection:

1. Distinct .com, .ca and .uk editions (no hijacking)
2. Separate tabs at huffpo.com or
3. Just geolocating for advertising on HuffPo.com.

I know this should be a day of only celebration but I think you may find that you have 1.5 million people angry at you.

You may want to get the tech department coding...quickly.

Sincerely,

Sage Spencer

Next Blogum: June 2011

Add to Technorati Favorites Subscribe with Bloglines

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you feel?